Tuesday, March 06, 2007

There Goes the Neighborhood

After a long and frustration day The Wife and I go get some comfort food, or as most people call it Mexican food, we drove back a slightly different way and drove most of the two blocks of Fried Chicken Drive, I was on the phone with Mcriff and as I turned the corner I see something I hoped to never see on our block. A Confederate flag in the window of a house. I know some may say that I'm over reacting, but I've always associated this flag with a sense of racism and ignorance.

Growing up along the Ohio River I grew up with a sense that Ohio was the north and the peoples house I could see from my bedroom across the river were southerners. Maybe Wilson will correct me over this, but up until the late nineties, I very rarely saw the Confederate flag on a car from Ohio, it was always those Kentuckians. I actually new a girl and told me while she was going to The Ohio University Branch in Ironton she put a confederate flag on her car. He brother told her that Ohioans do not like to see that flag and will let you know it, and they did, she finally had to take it off her car.

I understand, to a point, that with the Blue Collar Comedy Tour and the rise of country music to the main stream that the Confederate flag has grab its coat tails and took a ride with the popularity. To me it still wreaks of racism in this country and redneckism. I've even had a reporter and I discuss my hatred for the rebel flag and he took the stance of it was a sign of southern heritage and pride. I think there are other ways to show your pride if your from the south.

I don't know, I know I'm now in the south, but still I hate to see that flag flying here. I guess I have to get use to it. I'll just stop driving that way home so I won't have to see it.

If you randomly came to this post and disagree leave a comment, I'd like to hear your reasons.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Living in Kentucky, I see it all the time and agree with you. There is a school in the northeast of the state that uses the confederate flag for their sports teams. Other local schools have threatened to canceled events because the school refuses to not display it.