Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Wet Death


I've been in TV news for almost 7 years so when I hear people in a station freak out because there is rain coming I generally ignore them and go about my day. Why do I do this? Most times when there is heavy rain TV people will freak out. When there is light rain people will freak out. Most time it is nothing serious.

When I left at my normal time our sister station was freaking out and running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. I tell the desk I am leaving and head to my car. I start to drive on Oh-315 when it becomes harder to see because of the rain. Then I hear,

Thump

Thump

Thump thump thump

Thwap thwap thwap thwap thwap thwap thwap

It was massive amounts of hail. No just a little hail, it was hail with rain. I'm luckily near an exit and I pull off looking for an overpass. It was hitting my driver side door window so hard I thought the window was going to break. The ground was white with hail and all I can think is "NO NOT MY CAR! MAKE IT STOP I DON'T WANT HAIL DAMAGE!" The hailing slows down and I nextel the station

"Holy crap is it hailing on 315."


*beep beep*
"Call in on the phoner line they want you to go on live with Main Weather Guy."

WHAT? I'm going live on the air? Yes I was and I was nervous because I don't like being on air and I'm afraid my car is going to have dents. I tell about the hail and rain and that was it. I pull around Target to get to the highway again when I see all the hail on the ground and I take a picture for the station.

Even though TV people freak out at every little rain some times the freak out is real. Oh I think my car is OK.

No comments: