Sunday, November 26, 2006

3 Long Days

My new schedule has official begun, and since I am the "newbie" I get a bad schedule. Monday-Wednesday 9am-6pm, which is not too bad but I then work Saturday and Sunday 2am till 11am. I have not had to work regular weekends since I lived in Toledo back in 2002. So here is a tape delayed live blog of the past three days


6:00AM The alarm goes The Wife wants to go shopping for a GPS system for her car. With the deals at Best Buy it was a good time to buy it and it can be used as a tax right off WOO HOO!

7:00AM We get to Best Buy and the place is PACKED! We weave our way through the masses and NOBODY were near the GPS units. We find a clerk and he tells us the best ones. We end up picking a Garmin. The unit was fairly cheap and was very user friendly. We attempt to look around the story, but after a while I was tired of wading through humanity.

7:45AM We get in line.

8:20AM We finally it the register and get to leave. I've had rides at Cedar Point that didn't take that long.

8:30AM - 10:00AM We drive around Raleigh then Wake Forest and back towards downtown Raleigh looking for apartments. We found three we liked and a bunch we did not. This was lasting longer than I thought.

10:30AM We are hungry and stop at Biscuitville. In the south they love biscuits and have stores that make sandwiches out of biscuits. Growing up near West Virginia we had Tudor's Biscuit World. I enjoyed the Bacon, egg and cheese biscuit and The Wife had the same but sausage instead of bacon. The sandwiches were awesome, but definitely not something that I should eat a lot. I don't want a coronary by 35.

11:00AM 12:30AM We look at more apartments. I never want to do this again, also no one was open. I guess most people are not shopping for new houses. Only things that will buy them love from family.

12:30PM- 2:30PM I'm starting to get tired, but I can't go to sleep. I need to get up at 1:00am so a nap will not allow me to sleep at night. We get home and unload The Wife's car and start to put everything away. The Apartment is packed and over stuffed.

2:30PM-4:00PM I go play disc golf while The Wife finishes putting her clothes away and take a nap.

4:00PM-6:00PM We use our new GPS to find a Blockbuster to get a couple of movies and go to Qdoba for dinner.

6:00PM - 7:00PM We start to watch X-Men 3, but I can't stay awake, which is a good thing so I go to be.


1:00AM This comes way too soon and I struggle to get ready for work.

2:00AM-10:00AM I train with T-Dog and he gets me started and editing is not that hard, but it is repetitive and since I've only been editing on this system for a week and a half so I'm still slow. Not a lot new things happen since the last show at 11pm so it's mostly what was on during the 11 and stories that would not work in the 11 (national stories, anything about health and Jay-Z and Beyonce breaking up, that kind of story).

10:00PM - 12:00PM For some stupid reason I thought it would be a good idea to go shoot a football game. The game started at 1, but I had to leave at noon so I got paid to wait for a reporter.

Caffeine count since 2:00AM

2 20oz Mountain Dews

1 20oz Monster energy drinks

1 34oz Mountain Dew Code Red.

12:00PM- 5:00pm The game was the second round of the Division II playoffs between North Carolina Central and Delta State. NCCU was the #1 seed and looked like the #5. They came out flat and could not get anything going. I started to crash in the third quarter and I had problems standing and holding the camera up. I kid you not this was one of my worst shot games. I was slow to react and could not feel the game. For me that's what makes it great, being able to predict what is going to happen. We get post and start back to the station.

6:00PM I finally get off work and I feel like this. I get home eat a little dinner and finally go to bed at 7:00PM.


1:00AM The Alarm goes off and I wanted to throw it through a wall. I struggle into the shower and finally get going.

2:00AM-9:00AM Sunday was a lot harder than Saturday. I am struggling plus I have an extra half an hour to cut. To keep the simple, for some strange reason our server kept pulling up the wrong video after I send it. So I had to keep resending video that was already cut. I finally get the shows done, but I am not finished editing. Sports has a half hour show at 11:00.

9:00AM-11:00AM I struggle through another half and hour and it was harder than news. Everything seemed to be somewhat abstract. I'm use to editing sports, but there were not any scripts, but lots of video.

The rest of the day was a little bit of a blur. I think we ate at a China Buffet and bought tennis rackets and played a little.

So what have I learned. Caffeine can save your life, I need more than 6 hours sleep, I hate show editing, I should not shoot sports on a day that involves me getting up at 1:00AM.


mcriff said...

Hang in there buddy! I understand editing at 2 am. I'm sure your highlights were better than mine, and I did get 8 hours of sleep!

dcz said...

I think you now understand why I was pissed all the time. I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you have made it and are doing fairly well. Noone from the "network" has been able to give me updates so I was pleased to see you blogging again.

Bob D.

J Dog said...

McRiff probably not, I was completely off my game

DCZ I've taken up drinking as a new hobby

Bob D. I hope all is well and the post should continue.