Saturday, December 08, 2007

This is Old North Carolina


The area of North Carolina I live in is called the Triangle, because of the three main cities of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. Like most in the area, I am not originally from here, and I learn about the area little things make me laugh. I know Ohio has a lot of weird little towns (like Rudolph and their special Christmas stamps), but to me those Ohio towns are normal, because I grew up with them. Then I move here and laugh at all the little things the locals never thought of. Like Seymour Johnson Air Force Base near Morehead City.


Now the latest quirk is the town of Wendell. According to the towns website, it was founded by Granville County farmers looking for better soil. Once there and a school was build the people thought, hey maybe we should name the town. They asked the school teacher and he loved the poet Oliver Wendell Holmes and thought Wendell would be a fitting tribute to the man.


The story does not end there, a train track was laid near by and the porters on the train would yell out the towns name as they passed, but they said it a little different than Wendell, they yelled out WIN-DALE!!!!! So instead of correcting the porters and have then say win-doll they changed the name to win-dale.


I don't know why I love that story but I do. Everyone is calling the town by the original name and then, hey, lets change the way we say it, I like that porters style. You have won a place in my heart Wendell or should I type Win-dale.

No comments: