Tuesday, February 20, 2007

It's Not Fat, Just Big Boned Tuesday


Today is Fat Tuesday and for certain people that means time to flash your breast for some plastic beads or as it's called Mardi Gras. This is just not a day for drinking like St Patrick's Day, 4th of July, Memorial Day and Thursday. For the Catholics' tomorrow starts Lent, the 40 days before Easter. The reason I am writing this post is that while I lived in Toledo I learned of an evil yet great piece of food known as the paczki (poon-shke). It's basically an evil donut. If you want read the Wikipedia page, but the boiled down story is that for Lent you needed to get rid of all things tasty and the Polish people didn't want the tasty goodness to go to waste so they put it all in their donuts. It's double the sugar, fat, lard, crack, cream and anything else. I believe they have the fat and calorie content as one and a half Big Macs, not .5 I mean 1.5. That's the fat and calorie intake for a month.

Knowing that these things are bad for you, you know they are AWESOME! The first time I had paczki I was at my first station and someone thought it would be a great idea to have a paczki eating contest with our weather guy and a local radio host. We some how got ten dozen paczki so they were just laying around. I ate one, about an hour later, I ate a second one. It was time for me to leave work and I started feeling a little woozy. I can my mom and tell her that I'm getting dizzy, but I'm not suffering from sinus problems. I then tell her what I ate and what was in them. "JEREMY, YOU HAD TOO MUCH SUGAR, DON'T GO TO SLEEP, YOU COULD GO INTO A SUGAR COMA." That may not be the exact phrasing, but the sugar was making me see things. She had me go walk and drink I think a gallon of water. It was a near ugly ending to a pastry goodness day. So if you can go out and find a paczki and feel the 8 pounds you are adding on. Love live the paczki!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Back in the early eighties when I would be driving to or from college in Angola, Indiana to home near Cleveland, my rommie and I would stop in Toledo for paczki. It think it the place was called Bakery Limited. They were simply the best.