Saturday, September 13, 2008

History Merely Repeats Its Self

When did we flashback to 1973? If you do not know what I mean, then you have not been affected by the gas increase yet. Because of hurricane Ike hitting the Texas Gulf coast gas prices spike up to $4.79 we even heard that in Fayetteville it was over $5. Of course that lead to a rush to buy gas that was under four dollars. The Costco across the street from my station had lines 20 deep. We even hear reports that fights almost broke out.

I didn't think much about it till I was on my way home. My gas light came on and I had about 30 miles left. I start my way to Wake Forest while looking an open gas station. Every time I turned into a station the pumps were closed... out of gas. It wasn't just one or two, I tried 10 stations. I ended up driving 15 miles before I found a pump with gas.


I understand that some of the refineries are in the path of the hurricane and may slow down production, but it only accounts for 1/4 of our gas production. How can that increase the price at the pump that much, I mean a dollar increase or more? Even when Katrina hit gas did not spike this much and that was a devastating storm.


We need to do something about this. I don't care if it's hydrogen or freaking grease from deep fat fryer. I'm tired of the government allowing us to have this issue. Stop the gouging and find a new way to get us away from fossil fuels. I truthfully do not see an end to this problem, the gas and car companies are in bed together and are having a three way with Capital Hill. Didn't we learn anything from the 1973 gas lines? I guess not, in 15 years I will probably writing about this again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You better not be writing about this in 15 years. Unless it's a "remember when" post.

We have to do something. Fifteen years from now is about 50 years too late.

What I don't understand is that if the oil companies and the auto industry spent as much money on developing alternative fuel sources as they do on lobbying Washington, we would have that alternative, and those companies would be at the forefront, making all the money from that instead of the oil.

Come on people, get of the shnide and do something. I'm not smart enough to figure it out, but there a lot of people out there who are almost there. They just need that little bit extra "oomph" to finish the job.

J Dog said...

You said shnide

Anonymous said...

You weren't alive in 1973!!!!!!!!

J Dog said...

You forget, I like history